My feeling of foreboding remained when I woke up and he was gone to work. (Yes, he drove himself, his truck and the trailer to the job site. This man is dedicated to a fault, clearly.)

As I continued to research all roads ended at the emergency room and I regained my common sense. My brain and my body rejoined once again revealing my resolve. I called him on the job with the intention to tell him he was definitely returning to the ER and letting them admit him. Before I could even get a word out he said he didn’t feel well and agreed to return to the ER AFTER work. 

This was not acceptable to me.

He said he wasn’t feeling well, so I told him to go to the nearest drug store to get his blood pressure checked. If his blood pressure was high then he’d return to the ER and be admitted. 

He called back within half an hour stating they were going to the ER because his blood pressure was 209/104 or something. Then he said he’d be home soon to drop off the truck and trailer, change clothes and then I could drive him to the ER.

Looking back, I am thinking this illogic was evidence of damage from the stroke.

It took me several minutes to talk him into just letting his assistant drive him directly to the ER and that the truck and trailer could stay where they were overnight.

This time he agreed upfront to be admitted.

At the ER he just wasn’t himself. He had a sort of faraway look in his eyes as I talked with him. No slurring, no drooping face, but it seemed so hard for him to find the words he was trying to say.  He agreed to be admitted, but we had to wait hours for a bed to open up. Several hours into waiting in the ER I noticed that his face was beginning to droop and his speech was beginning to slur.

I notified the nurse who notified the doctor.

They took him to get a CT scan. Then the drooping and the slurring improved. Only to have it return a couple hours later. This better and worse went on for the next 24 hours, but each time his ‘better’ was worse than the ‘better’ before. There was slur and droop that remained. 

At this point I began to do hands on energy work with him on his head. He didn’t tolerate that too well though and quickly pulled away from me. So, I began remote healing with him.

Finally a bed opened up on the stroke unit and we went up to his room. I didn’t know it then but the stroke unit at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) is the first accredited Primary Stroke Center in Michigan. The unit was impressive, but the staff was more so. Each nurse, assistant and doctor was kind, patient and interacted in a positive manner.

As we told our story time and time again each person had the same reaction, “you are very lucky.” We decided to call this our stroke of luck, because even though it is not lucky to have a stroke, he did everything wrong and things could have turned out much much worse.

We knew this was our second chance…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s